Encouraging healthy sleep habits in your baby may be easier than you think.
My Top 5 Tips for Developing Healthy Sleep Habits
1) Set up a predictable routine for your babies, especially in the run up to going to sleep. This step-by-step approach will help your baby to feel more secure. And, always try to put your older baby down sleepy, but a tiny bit awake so he/she is aware of what is happening;
2) I recommend a dark/calm sleep environment, free of excess toys. And always make sure your baby/child is dressed appropriately for the temperature of the room;
3) Learn your baby’s ‘windows’ – so, time how long you’ve got between seeing the first signs of tiredness (yawning, jerky limbs, red eyes) and inconsolable tired crying. Try, then, to always put your baby down within this ‘window’, to avoid over-tiredness;
4) Encourage periods of play/activity during the day with your baby, and natural daylight (no matter how young). A well-stimulated baby will be more ready for that day-time nap and sound sleep at night!
5) The environment that your baby has fallen asleep in initially should be present throughout the whole sleep. Your baby may struggle to settle back to sleep if, for example, they fell asleep with music playing but then woke up later to complete silence!
HAPPY SLEEP SHAPING EVERYBODY!!!