Encouraging healthy sleep habits in your baby may be easier than you think.
Top 5 Tips for Developing Healthy Sleep Habits
1) Try not to rock, feed, pat, drive, “sshhh” your baby to sleep – they will soon become dependent on this!
2) Always try to put your baby down sleepy, but a tiny bit awake so he/she is aware of what is happening;
3) Learn your baby’s ‘windows’ – so, time how long you’ve got between seeing the first signs of tiredness (yawning, jerky limbs, red eyes) and inconsolable tired crying. Try then to always put your baby down within this ‘window’, to avoid over-tiredness;
4) Encourage periods of play/activity during the day with your baby (no matter how young). A well-stimulated baby will be more ready for that day-time nap and sound sleep at night!
5) The environment that your baby has fallen asleep in initially should be present throughout the whole sleep. Your baby may struggle to settle back to sleep if, for example, they fell asleep in your arms but then woke up later in their bed!
HAPPY SLEEP TRAINING EVERYBODY!!!